Friday, January 19, 2007

Eks-ellent Night To Watch The Colbert Report

Quote of the Week: "Bill, if you're a character--then what am I?"--final remark made to Bill O'Reilly by Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report.

Smell that? That smell, my dear friends, is the smell of Colbert's delicious victory over Fox News' Bill O'Reilly. I detest this man almost as much as I hate mayonnaise. I wanted to post a recording of tonights "Report" on here so every last one of you could truly enjoy watching O'Reilly hate himself for agreeing to be on a show that truly serves the average American with succinct political satire.

Anyone that knows me, will tell you that I'm a pretty fair guy--my politics are much like an "ala carte" lunch menu, in that I have varying beliefs, depending on what exactly we're talking about--from capital punishment (which I support) to social welfare and reform (which I have reservations about but I know is necessary). Much like Comedy Central, I am counting down the days until Barack Obama announces his candidacy for President in 2008.

Getting back to Stephen Colbert--he and John Stewart are what I can honestly call the closest thing I have to 'heroes'. They represent the voice of America that isn't blind-eyed and bleating. I can say with some confidence that our momma's didn't raise any fools in this generation--we're pretty politically savvy and I hope that this really is exemplified in the coming Presidential election.

I have to out myself--I didn't vote last time around; the fact that South Park could so easily sum up what I thought about the two candidates--a douche bag and a turd sandwich left me so fouled up internally that I chose to abstain. I was summarily called to task, being that I strongly advocate registering to vote and actually voting even at the local level, by someone very close to me who I had chided in the past for not voting. You know who you are--you were right, as usual. Please register to vote--you do count.

So now that I've "done my part"--let's get back on track. I really am dying to see Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth which opens to a limited release tomorrow. I actually spent a couple of really cool hours with Mr. Del Toro a few years ago at the San Diego Comic Con--he's quite an avid toy collector. His movie looks breathtakingly eerie and the noir-ish film quality gives it a really thick visual texture--you want a bowl full of this movie, trust me.

Next week on the 'Rama, I plan on reviewing Spiderman: Reign by Kaare Andrews--try to imagine Spiderman getting the "Dark Knight Returns" treatment and away we go! I'm loving it so far and you'll be able to tell in my review because of how deep I really get to dig into this book. Also, look for a pellet review of Exiles #90 and something else--I don't know yet, it was a week of not so hot books...

Did you get a look at the new street thug level New Avengers? Not that I mind Power Man and Iron Fist finally getting their due--but Wolverine and Spiderman do NOT (repeat DO NOT) need to be on a team book--together at that! Echo has potential as a deaf Taskmaster type and Spiderwoman is still (sort of) putting butts in seats--I think her popularity was about as tenuous as Marvel's mid-70's nostalgia resurgence...she's just not 3-dimensional enough to hold this much water. Ronin's back and I don't care; I'm sure either Captain America or Clint Barton will be behind the mask this time around--which will be good considering these two guys are the only real Avengers out of the whole bunch. Which most certainly leaves me with my last and least favortie choice for the team--Dr. Strange. Don't get me wrong, I love this character...but not on this team of Avengers written by this written by this writer--no way, no how. I just don't buy this book keeping it's stitches together--everyone on this team is pulling in a different direction--I see even LESS AVENGING going on than the previous NEW incarnation.

Well, it's late--this was supposed to just be a segue into a bigger badder Eks Factor over the weekend--and it still is so I hope you enjoyed this mini one.

Remember to vote!
Steve

Listening to: Nothing--it's too late for even music to sound any good.
Reading: Twisted Toyfare Theater Collected #8, you will piss yourself when you see a toy Hulk doll poop in a jacuzzi.
DVD to watch: I want that new Iron Man cartoon it looks fun.
Plans for Friday: Maybe I'll go see a movie or two. The Last King of Scotland and The Good German open this weekend. Yeah, make that a definite two movies this weekend.

6 comments:

Ericka Ekstrom said...

I hate O'Reilly as much as the next Ekstrom, but I don't think Colbert "won" because it wasn't a competitive affair. Yes, Colbert was much funnier. Bill O'Reilly doesn't excel at being purposely funny. But a victory? Maybe stretching it.

While Obama is a promising candidate, I don't know if it's his time to successfully run yet.

Steven Eks said...

It was a moral victory, you little Ewok! My little sister shows up on the board to set me straight--like a little voice of reason! He faired much better on both shows that O'Reilly did--O'Reilly attacked Colbert's character and his characterizations based on O'Reilly and his "Factor". The end of the Colbert Report was like dagger in Papa Bear's evil, blackened heart.

Ericka Ekstrom said...

Don't call me an Ewok. Again, it wasn't really a competition. Even through the mocking, you can sense a certain reverence for one another as far as showmanship is concerned.

Casey said...

Colbert 2, O'Reilly 0! Though I agree with Steve, I do see where you're coming from Ezra.

I want to see Pan's Labryinrth as well. I hear it's good. And what's with the new New Avengers lineup. Oh well, guess I'm not missing anything.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ivisuliry.100megsfree5.com/hihyky.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I started to get real income.
It's all about how to select a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]